August 5, 2016

BOOKCASE in GRAPHITE

This is my third post on pieces of furniture I've painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  You can find the shoe shelf here and the nightstand here.


This summer I helped my mother redo a spare bedroom.  She had a sentimental attachment to this bookcase and didn't just want to give it to Goodwill.  I of course dragged it home to redo.

 

To fit my home, I really wanted to make it modern yet with the cottage feel.   For this I painted with Annie Sloan in Graphite.



Graphite isn't really a true black.  AS doesn't make a true black.  It's more of a blue grey.  Two coats will give you a beautiful dark blue grey, like a deep steel.  It's also easy to see where you didn't have the same amount of paint on your brush.


To get a deeper black use dark wax.  I used Folk Art Home Decor Wax in Antique.  Why not Annie Sloan? Because I was being cheap and this was $3.00 after my 60% off coupon at Michaels.  I knew I wasn't going to have a use for the entire container of AS Dark Wax.

 
Here's my opinion of the Folk Art Wax.  It was not anything like the consistency of the AS wax, very runny.  I used a foam brush to apply in even strokes.  It was frightening at first to see the paint turn brown, but after it sunk in it really turned more black.

  


 I really need to start wearing gloves....


I added a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax to protect and shine.


I used the Silhouette and vinyl to make the clock.




Here's the finished piece.






And I already know I'm going to store wine, linens and dinner type items on here as it is in my tiny dinning room next to the table.   It fits right at home with our eclectic style of furniture!


I'd love to hear your thoughts on chalk paint, waxes and finishes!

Happy painting!
~ Kristin

3 comments:

  1. What a great job, I bet your Mama didn't recognize it. I had to laugh about your lack of gloves, I always remember my gloves only after my hands are stained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan, she hadn't seen it yet!! I can't wait for her to see it.

      Delete
  2. What a great job, I bet your Mama didn't recognize it. I had to laugh about your lack of gloves, I always remember my gloves only after my hands are stained.

    ReplyDelete